NYC Honorary Street Names
"R" Honorary Streets: Manhattan
R. Lonnie Williams Place (Manhattan)
Present name:East 104th Street
Location:Between Fifth and Madison Avenues
Honoree: Richard Lonnie Williams began his career with Boys Harbor, Inc. as a young counselor in 1954. In 1964 he became an official of the U.S Labor Department, directing a youth employment program, and was later district director of the U.S. Office of Economic Opportunity. In 1969 he became Executive Director of Boys Harbor and with its founder, Anthony D. Duke, helped build it into an organization with a staff of 200 serving some 4,000 boys and girls annually. He died in 1995 at age 60..
Rabbi Sidney Kleiman Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 29th Street
Location:Between Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue
Honoree: Rabbi Sidney Kleiman (1912-2013) was the longest serving and oldest active congregational Rabbi in the United States before he died at the age of 100. Rabbi Kleiman was born on the Lower East Side, grew up in the Bronx and attended Yeshiva University. He led the antebellum Congegation Adereth El from 1939 until 1999. The synagogue itself was founded in 1857 and moved to its present site at 133 East 29th Street, in 1863. (Mendez)
Rabbi Yaakov Spiegel Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Rivington Street
Location:Between Ludlow Street and Orchard Street
Honoree: Rabbi Yaakov Yitzchak Spiegel (1936-2001) a descendent of several Chasidic dynasties, was the long-time leader of Congregation Shaarai Shomoyim, also known as the Roumanisher Shul, at 89-93 Rivington Street. Rabbi Spiegel was a strong advocate of education for girls and was active in local civic groups. The synagogue building, erected as a church about 1857, collapsed in 2006 and was demolished the following year.
Rafael Tufiño Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 103rd Street
Location:From the west side of Third Avenue to the east side of Park Avenue
Honoree: Rafael Tufiño (1922-2008) a painter and printmaker, was one of Puerto Rico’s most prominent cultural figures. He was a founder of East Harlem’s Taller Boricua and was also influential in the establishment of El Museo del Barrio.
Ramona Jennett Way (Manhattan)
Present name:West 129th Street
Location:Between Convent Avenue and St. Nicholas Terrace
Honoree: Ramona Jennett (d. 2009) was president of the 129th St. Block Association, secretary of Community Board 9, and a staff member of New York Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit for Babies for over 40 years.
Reggie Fitzgerald Triangle (Manhattan)
Location:Bounded by Horatio Street, West 4th Street, and Eighth Avenue.
Honoree: Reggie Fitzgerald (1929-1995) was a community leader in Greenwich Village. The owner of clothing store on West 4th Street, he was a longtime member and officer of the Horatio Street Association. He helped organize residents into night patrols in cooperation with the 6th Precinct. Also active in Community Board 2, he served on its Gay and Lesbian Committee, chaired its Traffic and Transportation Committee, and was an advocate for historic preservation.
Renee Mancino Way (Manhattan)
Location:Between 214th Street and 215th Street
Honoree: Renee Mancino (1948-2014) was the owner of Carrot Top Pastries, a well-known bakery in Washington Heights and Inwood. At 15, she was sentenced to a year in reform school for truancy but came out with a determination to apply to medical school. She was accepted into Columbia Medical School but was unable to attend because of car-crash injuries from which she never fully recovered. She began baking carrot cakes in the 1970s to raise money for her daughter’s medical school tuition. Her customers included some of Manhattan’s finest restaurants and food stores; and such celebrities as Stevie Wonder, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Richard Pryor. She generously donated her pastries to the Inwood Little League, Good Shepherd Church and School, Inwood Community Services, Riverstone Senior Life Services, and the Malcolm X and Dr. Betty Shabazz Center. (Rodriguez)
Rev. Dr. James H. Robinson Avenue (Manhattan)
Location:the intersection of 122nd Street and Morningside Avenue
Honoree: James H. Robinson (1907-1972) founded the Church of the Master in 1938 in a building that had been erected in 1894 as Morningside Presbyterian Church. He served as its pastor until 1961. In 1958, he established Operation Crossroads Africa, considered a forerunner of the Peace Corps.
Rev. Dr. Jasper Simmons Place (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of 155th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
Honoree: Rev. Dr. Jasper Simmons (1922-2015) was the longest serving Pastor in the tri-state area. He was ordained in May 1953 and began his ministry by founding File Chapel Baptist Church on East 124th Street. As it grew, it relocated to 505 West 155th Street. He opened a Head Start Program and instituted Thanksgiving Day dinner, which has served the community for over 24 years, a weekly soup kitchen, started in 1995 and serves over 100 people every Thursday and gave many in the area employment. He was a member of the Baptist Ministers? Conference of Greater New York and Vicinity for 55 years, president of the C.H.A.N.C.E organization for 7 years and Community and Senior Chaplain for the NYS Department of Corrections Prison Ministry. .(Levine)
Rev. Dr. John W. Saunders Place (Manhattan)
Present name:Convent Avenue
Location:Between West 144th and West 145th Streets.
Honoree: Reverend Saunders (1868-1961) was the the founder and pastor of the Convent Avenue Baptist Church. Ordained in 1915, he joined the pastorate of Tenth Street Baptist Church in Camden. In 1927 he left to serve at Walker Memorial Baptist Church, on 132nd Street and Madison Avenue in Manhattan. He served there for 13 years, leaving the church debt free by 1939. He went on to found th Convent Avenue Baptist Church, which opened on February 15, 1942 with fewer than 500 mebers By the time of his death it had grown to over 3,000 members.
Rev. Dr. Ollie B. Wells, Sr. Square (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of West 145th Street Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard
Honoree: Rev. Wells was senior pastor of the Union Baptist Church for 28 years. Under Rev. Wells’ leadership, the Union Baptist Church provided services to the homeless and destitute, and advocated for affordable housing and the revitalization of Harlem.
Reverend Dr. Alfloyd Alston Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the corner of West 125th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
Honoree: Reverend Dr. Alfloyd Alston founded the Antioch Baptist Church. Reverend Alston, in 1996, established a business that sold prepared food, B.B.Q. King in Harlem, which works toward community development and job creation for local residents.
Reverend Pedro Pietri Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 3rd Street
Location:Between Avenue B and Avenue C
Honoree: Reverend Pedro Pietri (1944-2004) was an active member of his community and a gifted poet. His works could be heard at the Nuyorican Poets Café, an establishment he helped create. In his career he published over twenty works of poetry and plays.
Reverend Walter L. Harding Place (Manhattan)
Present name:Morningside Avenue
Location:Between West 123rd and West 124th Streets
Honoree: Reverend Dr. Walter L. Harding (d. 1991) was one of the founders of St. Luke Baptist Church and served as its pastor from February 1938 through October 1991, a period of 53 years.
Revs. Norm and Peg Eddy Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northeast and southeast corners of 100th Street and 2nd Avenue
Honoree: Rev. Norm Eddy (1920-2013) and Peg, his wife (1926-1990) who was also a minister, helped start a drug treatment program, a tenants’ group, a housing project, a credit union and the myriad self-help organizations that have sustained his work there for over 60 years. He served as a pastor of the East Harlem Protestant Parish, an assembly of four storefront churches that they had helped establish in 1951 while attending Union Theological Seminary in Manhattan. They helped helping tenants in disputes with landlords and sometimes mediated gang rivalries. They helped establish one of the city’s first counseling centers for addicts. They also helped organize the East Harlem Credit Union Committee, the East Harlem Narcotics Committee, and the Metro North Citizens’ Committee, whose efforts led, by the mid-1960s, to construction of 200 units of affordable housing that anchored a gradual neighborhood revival. (Mark-Viverito)
Ricardo A. Perez Place (Manhattan)
Present name:West 136th Street
Location:Between Broadway and Hamilton Place
Honoree: Ricardo A. Perez (1954-2007) was an entrepreneur in Washington Heights, owning pharmacies, a medical clinic and over 30 money transfer locations. He served on the Community Board for over 30 years and was a supporter of numerous civic and charitable organizations.
Rita Venedam Place (Manhattan)
Location:At the northwest corner West 215th Street and Broadway
Honoree: Ms. Venedam was a long time resident of Inwood and a long time volunteer for veterans’ causes. She logged more than 50,000 volunteer hours at the Bronx and Manhattan VA hospitals.
River Terrace (Manhattan)
Present name:Vesey Place
Location:River Terrace as it extends to North End Avenue
Honoree: Introduced by Council Member GersonThis section of the bill would rename a portion of what is now called “Vesey Place”, within Battery Park City in Manhattan, “as River Terrace.” Currently, the extension of Vesey Place to the west is named River Terrace and this renaming, which would amend the City Map, would result in the entire street being named River Terrace.
Robert Lowery Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Riverside Drive
Location:Between 155th Street and 158th Street
Honoree: Robert Lowery (1916-2001) was New York's first African American fire commissioner and the first commissioner appointed by Mayor John V. Lindsay after his election in 1965. He served at a time when there was a rise in arson-related fires throughout minority neighborhoods. His appointment demonstrated the immense strides towards racial equality the city has taken. When he first joined as a firefighter in 1941, blacks were prohibited from using kitchen utensils and slept in separate areas of the department. He is known for his dedication to and efforts towards the improvement of race relations. He remained active in civil rights causes even after retirement. (Levine)
Robert Rodriguez Place (Manhattan)
Present name:East 120th Street
Location:Between First Avenue and Pleasant Avenue
Honoree: Robert Rodriguez (1951-1994) was, in 1976, the youngest person ever elected to the City Council. In 1982 he became Director of Labor Relations for the NYFD. While still at the Council, He founded the East Harlem Multiservice Center (EHMC), located on this block, which helps thousands of East Harlem families each year.
Robert Woolis Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Northeast side of West 95th Street
Location:Between Columbus Avenue and Central Park West
Honoree: Robert Woolis (1924-2006) was one of the original tenants at Columbus House and the longtime president of its Tenants Association. He also co-founded the Mitchell-Lama Residents’ Council with Congressman Charles Rangel and served as its co-chair for many years.
Ruth Winds Way (Manhattan)
Location:the intersection of Madison Street and Gouverneur Street
Honoree: Ruth Winds (1926-2001) moved to NYCHA’s Vladeck Houses in 1946. While in Vladeck Houses, Ms. Winds advocated for and assisted countless residents of the community. She helped people obtain employment and children attend camp during the summer. Ms. Winds tirelessly interacted with the Housing Authority in the renovation of the parks, windows and elevators at Vladeck Houses.
Contact | © 2005-2018 by Gilbert Tauber