NYC Honorary Street Names
"M" Honorary Streets: Manhattan
Madam C.J. & A’Lelia Walker Place (Manhattan)
Present name:136th Street
Location:Between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and Lenox Avenue
Honoree: Madam C.J. Walker (1867-1919) developed and marketed a successful line of beauty and hair care products. A generous philanthropist, she donated to the NAACP and the YMCA, as well as black schools, orphanages and retirement homes. Her daughter A’Lelia Walker hosted many artists, writers, musicians and actors of the Harlem Renaissance at the Dark Tower, a floor of her 136th Street townhouse near Lenox Avenue.
Manchild Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Frederick Douglas Boulevard
Location:between 145th Street and 146th Street
Honoree: The name refers to “Manchild in the Promised Land,” the 1965 novel by Claude Brown (1937-2002), based on his own childhood growing up in Harlem. Sent to reform school for the first time at the age of 11, Brown struggled to get an education and eventually became a lawyer, writer and lecturer. See also Claude Brown Corner.
Manolo Tavarez Justo Way (Manhattan)
Present name:West 181st Street
Location:Between Amsterdam Avenue and Broadway
Honoree: Manolo Tavarez Justo (1931-1963) was the most notable leader of the movement against the 33- year dictatorship of General Rafael Leonidas Trujillo in the Dominican Republic.
Margaret Sanger Square (Manhattan)
Location:Intersection of Bleecker Street and Mott Street
Honoree: Margaret Sanger (1879-1966) was public health nurse who witnessed countless women die of self-inflicted or back-alley abortions. In 1916 she opened America's first birth control clinic in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. It was shut down 9 days later, and Sanger was charged with obscenity and jailed for 30 days. After further legal battles her clinic eventually became part of Planned Parenthood of New York City. In Aprl 1992, PPNYC moved its headquarters to 26 Bleecker St. at the corner of Mott Street. (POC 1993 v. 1-A p. 230)
Maria Valentin Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northeast corner of 184th Street and Audubon Avenue
Honoree: Maria Valentin (1928-2015) was born in the Dominican Republic. In 1962, she fled the dictatorship of Rafael Leónidas Trujillo Molina. Ms. Valentin had been targeted to be killed for speaking against Trujillo’s cruelty towards children. Arriving in New York with only $5 in her pocket, she performed odd jobs until 1966 when she earned enough to move uptown to 184th Street. Her youngest daughter was born with Down Syndrome. She did not institutionalize her as was suggested at that time; instead she opened her home to other needy kids, including the children of the homeless, street workers, the mentally ill, and the drug addicted. They would be dropped off by their parents, and no questions were asked except for the child's name and birthdate. Every child that entered her home was fed, taken to school and given a place to sleep, if needed. She took it upon herself to keep or make their doctor’s appointments, ensure their religious instruction and see that they attended mass on Sundays. She often took children sight-seeing and on summer vacations, allowing many to experience places they would not otherwise. Most importantly, she made sure each child was cared for and loved unconditionally as if they were her own. She left behind 5 biological children, 12 grandchildren, 12 great-children, and over 100 "adopted children" and their offspring. ( Rodriguez)
Marie Christopher Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of Stanton Street and Pitt Street
Honoree: Marie Christopher (1947-2013) was a respected community leader who fought for affordable and sustainable housing and economic justice in Manhattan's Lower East Side. She worked to rid her building of a notorious drug dealer through police patrols and a site complaint program. As a member of the Citizens Committee for New York and a founding member of the Alliance for a Drug Free City, she advised dozens of organizations, often in communities considered among the most dangerous in the nation. She also fought to get the New York City Council to enact Local Law 79 which, had it not been overturned by the courts, would have given tenants in post-1973 Mitchell-Lama and Project Based Section 8 buildings the first right to purchase their buildings. (Mendez and Chin)
Marie Dickson Place (Manhattan)
Location:At the east side of East 107th Street and 3rd Avenue
Honoree: Marie Dickson (1923-2007) served on the Community Board for over 20 years. As chair of key committees, she advocated for better parkland in the district and for drug rehabilitation and youth prevention programs.
Mariners’ Temple Lane (Manhattan)
Present name:Oliver Street
Location:Between Madison Street and St. James Place
Honoree: Mariners’ Temple Baptist Church, established in 1795 as the Oliver Street Baptist Church, is on the oldest site of continuous Baptist worship in New York City. It was also the first church in the United States devoted exclusively to sailors and their families
Mark and Stephen Colaio Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Beach Street
Location:Between Varick Street and West Broadway
Honoree: The brothers Mark and Stephen Colaio worked at Cantor Fitzgerald. Both were killed in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Mark was 34 and Stephen 32.
Mary Jane Matos Way (Manhattan)
Present name:West 170th Street
Location:Between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue
Honoree: Mary Jane Matos (1938-2012) worked for the Board of Education and then for the NYC Health and Hospital Corporation until she retired. While still in high school, she volunteered for the deaf and blind as well as for the Junior Red Cross at East 19th Street Hospital. She was also an Auxiliary Police Officer in the 34th Precinct for five years. In 1989, she joined the Washington Heights-Inwood Lions Club. There, she established the club initiative to give hot meals to the homeless; distribute Christmas gifts and new clothing to women and children living in shelters for battered women and other homeless shelters throughout the city; collected donations for children born with AIDS; and had the Lions Club join the “Adopt A Highway” program. She also chaired or served on Lions Club regional committees in connection with programs to aid the disabled and visually handicapped. (Rodriguez)
Mary McLeod Bethune Place (Manhattan)
Present name:West 134th Street
Location:Between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and Frederick Douglass Boulevard
Honoree: Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955) was an African-American educator, author and civil rights leader. In 1904 she founded a private girls' school in Daytona Beach FL that developed into today's Bethune-Cookman University. Ms. Bethune was also the founder of the National Conference of Negro Women, a vice president of the NAACP, and served in advisory posts in four presidential administrations.
Mary Spink Way (Manhattan)
Location: Southeast corner of East 2nd Street and Avenue A
Honoree: Mary Spink was a former addict who spent five years in jail for dealing drugs. She later turned her life around and became heavily involved in her community. She was the executive director of the Lower East Side People’s Mutual Housing Association, which now owns and maintains 32 low-income buildings in the East Village and Lower East Side, as well as managing eight low-income, tenant-owned Housing Development Fund Corporation buildings. She was active in many organizations, including the Lower East Side People’s Federal Credit Union, the Lower East Side Girls Club, and the East Village Community Coalition. She represented a group of Avenue B tenants who lost their homes after their landlord let their building deteriorate, forcing them out on the street for safety reasons. She led their legal fight and was able to get the tenants $25,000 settlements. Mary Spink was 65 when she died in 2012. (Mendez)
Mary Woodard Lasker Way (Manhattan)
Present name:York Avenue
Location:Between 67th and 68th Streets
Honoree: Mary Woodard Lasker (1900-1994) was a leading philanthropist in the fields of medical research and public health. With her husband Albert Lasker, who died in 1952, she created the Lasker Foundation, which has been instrumental in progress against cancer and other diseases.
Matthew Henson Plaza (Manhattan)
Present name:150th Street
Location:Between Frederick Douglass Boulevard and John B. Sass Place
Honoree: Matthew Henson (1866-1955) was a resident of Harlem’s Dunbar apartments for many years and was an Arctic explorer who planted the American flag on the North Pole. Mr. Henson is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
Matthew S. Turner Triangle (Manhattan)
Location:A triangular area…at the intersection of St. Nicholas Avenue and Frederick Douglass Boulevard Between West 120th and West 121st Streets
Honoree: Matthew S. Turner was an educator and behavioral scientist who championed education, recreational opportunities, and a drug-free environment for Harlem Youth. He co-founded the Harlem Youth Federation and was an administrator of several anti-poverty and drug rehabilitation programs including Reality House.
Matty Alou Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of Isham Street and Seaman Avenue
Honoree: Matty Alou (1938-2011) was among the most successful and first Dominican Americans in Major League Baseball. He played for six major league baseball teams. He entered the big leagues at the end of the 1960 season with the Giants and was later traded to Pittsburgh. In 1963, as Giants, Matty Alou, with his brothers Jesus and Felipe, became the first three brothers to play in a major league game in the same outfield. In 1966, with the Pittsburgh Pirates, he became the National League batting champion, hitting a .342. He was a .307 hitter with 31 home runs, 4271 runs batted in, 1,777 hits and 236 doubles in 15 major league seasons. (Rodriguez)
Max Bond Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the southeast corner of St. Nicholas and 162nd Street
Honoree: J. Max Bond (1935-2009) was a prominent African-American architect. In 1970, he founded the firm of Bond Ryder & Associates which designed the Martin Luther King Jr. Center in Atlanta; the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute in Alabama; and the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture in Harlem. After Ryder's retirement in 1990, Bond joined Davis, Brody & Associates to form Davis Brody Bond. He was responsible for the museum component of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center site. He was chairman of the architecture division at the Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture and Planning from 1980 to 1984, and was dean at the City College of New York School of Architecture and Environmental Studies from 1985 to 1992. He was also a member of the New York City Planning Commission from 1980 to 1986. (Rodriguez)
Max Gordon Corner (Manhattan)
Location:Corner of Seventh Avenue South and Waverly Place.
Honoree: Max Gordon (1903-1989) was the owner of the Village Vanguard, one of the most influential clubs in the history of jazz, for 54 years. It was also a venue for poets, folk singers and comics. After a year on Greenwich Avenue, it moved to its present site in 1936. Gordon is credited with discovering Judy Holliday, Betty Comden and Adolph Green He also aided the careers of Barbra Streisand Eartha Kitt and Aretha Franklin.
Merlin German Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the southwest corner of West 189th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue
Honoree: Merlin German (1985-2008), born and raised in Washington Heights, enlisted in the Marine Corps in 2003. On February 21, 2005, his squad was struck by an IED. He was burned over 97% of his body but survived more than three years before dying on April 1, 2008. He set up a charity to benefit child burn victims.
Miguel Amaro Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the southeast corner of West 190th Street and Audubon Avenue
Honoree: Miguel Amaro was a long time community activist who committed his life to the benefit of the Washington Heights and Inwood communities. . He co-founded the Dominican Day Parade in 1982 and served as its first President.
Mildred Sutherland Way (Manhattan)
Present name:West 152nd Street
Location:Between Broadway and Amsterdam
Honoree: Mildred Sutherland was president of the West 152nd St. Block Association; a DC37 and UFT union leader; a Girl Scout leader; and an advocate of music education in public schools.
Miles Davis Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northwest corner of West 77th Street and West End Avenue
Honoree: Miles Dewey Davis III was one of the most innovative and influential jazz musician-composers of the 20th century. He was one of the first African-Americans to own a townhouse on the Upper West Side where he composed, collaborated and rehearsed at 312 West 77th Street for 25 years. (Brewer)
Mirabal Sisters Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of 168th Street and Amsterdam
Honoree: The sisters Patria, Minerva and Maria Teresa Mirabal were members of an underground movement in the Dominican Republic opposed to the dictator Rafael Trujillo. They helped form the resistance group called the Movement of the Fourteenth of June in an attempt to overthrow Trujillo. The sisters became known as Las Mariposas (The Butterflies). Trujillo had the sisters killed after their attempt to assassinate him was exposed in 1960. Their deaths were a catalyst for Trujillo’s assassination by military leaders six months later. Since their deaths, the Mirabal sisters have become feminist icons throughout Latin America and been commemorated in songs, books and poems. The anniversary of their deaths is commemorated each year as the International Day Against Violence Against Women. There is a Mirabal Sisters Cultural and Community Center at 142nd Street in Manhattan. (Rodriquez)
Miriam Friedlander Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 6th Street
Location:Between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue
Honoree: Miriam Friedlander (1914-2009) represented the East Village and Lower East Side in the New York City Council from 1974 to1991. She was an advocate for gay and lesbian rights, women, tenants, and homelessness issues.
Moises Locon and Nicholas Figueroa Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northwest corner of East 7th Street and Second Avenue
Honoree: Moises Locon and Nicholas Figueroa were tragically killed in an explosion on March 20, 2015. The blast was caused by an illegal connection to a gas line serving the Sushi Park restaurant at 121 Second Avenue. Moises Locon, 27, was a restaurant employee; Nicholas Figueroa, 23, was a customer. The explosion led to the collapse of three buildings and severely damaged a fourth building. An addition to the two young men who were killed, 22 people were injured. As a result of this explosion and other gas-related incidents, the City enacted an extensive set of gas safety reforms. (Mendez)
Moises Locon Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 7th Street
Location:Between Second Avenue and Third Avenue at the northwest corner of East 7th Street and Second Avenue (sic)
Honoree: Moises Locon and Nicholas Figueroa were tragically killed in an explosion on March 20, 2015. The blast was caused by an illegal connection to a gas line serving the Sushi Park restaurant at 121 Second Avenue. Moises Locon, 27, was a restaurant employee; Nicholas Figueroa, 23, was a customer. The explosion led to the collapse of three buildings and severely damaged a fourth building. An addition to the two young men who were killed, 22 people were injured. As a result of this explosion and other gas-related incidents, the City enacted an extensive set of gas-safety reforms. (Mendez) [See also Nicholas Figueroa Way.]
Mother Cabrini Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northeast corner of East 19th Street and 3rd Avenue
Honoree: This co-naming marked the 100th Anniversary of the death of Mother Francis Xavier Cabrini. Mother Cabrini (1850-1917) established hospitals, schools, orphanages and immigrant services throughout the United States. She was the first woman to be given the title of ‘Missionary’; and in 1946 became the first American citizen to be canonized as a Saint of the Roman Catholic Church. The co-naming also comemmorates the Cabrini Medical Center, which was located at 227 East 19th Street from 1973 to 2008. (Mendez) (110/31)
Mother Cabrini Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 19th Street
Location: Between Second Avenue and Third Avenue
Honoree: This co-naming marked the 100th Anniversary of the death of Mother Francis Xavier Cabrini. Mother Cabrini (1850-1917)established hospitals, schools, orphanages and immigrant services throughout the United States. She was the first woman to be given the title of ‘Missionary’; and in 1946 became the first American citizen to be canonized as a Saint by the Vatican. The co-naming also comemmorates the Cabrini Medical Center, which was located at 227 East 19th Street from 1973 to 2008. (Mendez)
Mother Clara Hale Street (Manhattan)
Present name:West 122nd Street
Location:between Malcolm X Boulevard and Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard
Honoree: Mrs. Clara Hale (1905-1992) better known as “Mother” Hale was the founder of the child-care agency Hale House. She began fostering children in 1940. As problems with the drug abuse increased in Harlem, she increasingly cared for babies addicted to heroin before birth or infected with the AIDS virus.
Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini Triangle (Manhattan)
Location:Triangle at Pearl Street, Madison Street and St. James Place
Honoree: Mother Cabrini (1850-1917) was the first American saint of the Roman Catholic church. She had intended to be a missionary in China, but Pope Leo XIII told her to find her 'China' in the West. She is credited with the establishment 67 schools, hospitals, and other institutions in the U.S., Latin America,amd Europe. This triangle is located near the former St. Joachim's Church where Mother Cabrini began her work in the U.S. in 1889.
Mrs. Ponsie B. Hillman Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northwest corner of Columbus Avenue and West 71st Street
Honoree: Ponsie B. Hillman (1918-2008) was a retired teacher and former Assistant Treasurer of the United Federation of Teachers (UFT). In 1963, she received a Teacher of the Year award for her work in educating African-American children who were denied access to schools due to desegregation efforts. During her tenure at the UFT, she served on the Executive Board; organized the AfroAmerican Heritage Committee; initiated the Asian-American Committee after an educational trip to Taiwan; and set up the UFT summer camp program. After her death, the Ponsie Barclay Hillman Precollege Scholarship was created to honor her as an educator, and as an advocate and a pioneer in the civil rights and labor movements. (Rosenthal)
Ms. Aida Perez-Loiza Aldea Lane (Manhattan)
Location:At the northwest corner of East 105th Street and Lexington Avenue
Honoree: Aida Perez-Loiza Aldea (1935-2012), born in Puerto Rico, was a community and cultural leader in East Harlem. She retired from the City's Child Support Division after 25 years of service, and then worked part-time at the Covello Senior Center until she passed away. She also was president of Los Hermanos Fraternos de Loiza and an organizer of the annual Fiesta Loiza Aldea for 35 years. She founded and was an active member of many cultural organizations in East Harlem including La Fiesta Folkroica Puertorique¤o, the Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute, and El Museo del Barrio. (Mark-Viverito)
Ms. Magazine Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 32nd Street
Location:Between Third Avenue and Second Avenue at the southeast corner of East 32nd Street and Third Avenue
Honoree: Ms. Magazine was the first periodical to be created, owned and operated entirely by women. It was among the country's most influential magazines in the latter part of the 20th Century, bringing attention to issues of women’s rights and domestic violence. The magazine was founded by Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman Hughes in 1971, appearing initially as an insert in New York Magazine, whose offices were then on East 32nd Street, It began publication as a free-standing magazine in 1972 and was a monthly until 1987. Now a quarterly, it is published by a nonprofit foundation from offices in Arlington, Virgnia. (Mendez)
Ms. Mary Iemma Way (Manhattan)
Present name:East 199th Street
Location:Between Park and Lexington Avenues
Honoree: Mary Iemma (b. 1918) was the first African-American to develop more than five hundred affordable apartments for families in East Harlem. She organized a development program East Harlem called the Upper Park Avenue Community Association (UPACA).
Museum Mile (Manhattan)
Present name:5th Avenue
Location:Between East 104th Street and 110th Street
Honoree: This co-naming extends the Museum Mile name to 110th Street due to the new Museum for African Art to be opened at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 110th Street.
Contact | © 2005-2018 by Gilbert Tauber