NYC Honorary Street Names

Peyton

Msgr. John T. Peyton Avenue (Brooklyn)
Present name:Shepherd Avenue
Location:Between Atlantic Avenue and Pitkin Avenue
Honoree: Msgr. Peyton (1934-2008) founded the Ralph Center, where he worked with the Haitian and Hispanic population on social needs including immigration, health, education and housing. He took part in “The Experiment of Brownsville” that included eight priests and six nuns who moved out of their rectories and convents to live among the poor of Brooklyn, helping with the immediate needs of the people. He went to Puerto Rico for a year to learn Spanish, and also learned to speak Creole. He was co-chairman of the congregations that built Nehemiah Homes for the working poor in Brownsville and East New York. In 1983 he became pastor of St. Rita parish in East New York and served there until his death. (Espinal)
LL:2014/34


Contact | © 2005-2019 by Gilbert Tauber