NYC Honorary Street Names
Anna Chineda Carter Square (Brooklyn)
Location:Intersection of Bleecker Street and Knickerbocker Avenue
Honoree: Anna Chineda Carter (1932-2009) was chair of Community Board 4 in the 1970s. Under her leadership, CB 4 developed the Bushwick Action Plan to revitalize the community. After a 1977 fire obliterated 23 buildings, Ms. Carter successfully urged that the fire site be the location for a new 83rd Police Precinct station house..
Ma Carter’s Way (Bronx)
Present name:Bryant Avenue
Location:Between East 180th Street and Southern Boulevard
Honoree: Juanita “Ma” Carter was a community activist, member of Community Board6 and the 48th Pct. Council, President of Lambert Houses and a founding member of “Not in My Neighborhood You Don’t” anti-violence and drug campaign.
Police Officer Gerard L. Carter Avenue (Staten Island)
Location:Intersection of Pelton Avenue and Henderson Avenue
Honoree: Gerard L. Carter (1970-1998) joined the NYPD in1993. He served for only five years yet was responsible for 76 arrests, received two commendations and was named outstanding officer of the year by the Staten Island Chamber of Commerce. He was killed in the line of duty on July 26, 1998.
Rev. Julius & Mother Coreania Carter Way (Queens)
Location:At the northeast corner of 167th Street and Linden Boulevard
Honoree: Coreania Hayman Carter (1916-2014) taught at a college in Alabama and a middle school in Arizona, but she also had a passion for music and a profound lyric soprano voice. She was eventually asked to join the Broadway production of "Porgy and Bess," with which she traveled to over 45 countries, and later starred as Cindy Lou in "Carmen Jones." In 1940, she met Rev. Julius Ceasar Carter and in 1945, they married. Despite her love for music, she decided to retire from singing and assist her husband in ministry. In 1946, Rev Carter rejoined the active military. At that time, Mrs. Carter was directing the choir at Allen AME Church, Jamaica. Its members impressed upon Mrs. Carter to ask Rev. Carter to organize a church and be its pastor. Carter Community AME Church was founded in 1947 with the first services being held at the Crowe Funeral Home. Many of the members were professional musicians and performers. That same year, Rev. Carter located a white frame building on Linden Blvd. The church held its first service there in August 1948, but that building was destroyed by fire in 1952. In 1964, ground was broken for a new church and senior citizen complex on the same site. While Rev. Carter was away in the military, Mrs. Carter held the church together, including buying bricks for the facing of the building and jumping on oil trucks to bring oil to keep it warm for service. Mrs. Carter organized the Bertha Faithful Missionary Society at Carter Community and served as its first president and as adviser until the end. She also was president of the AME Ministers Wives and Widows Alliance, and a life member of both the AME Missionary Society and the International Association of Missionaries. (Miller)
Contact | © 2005-2019 by Gilbert Tauber